newest nav

  • Home

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Heaven on Earth

I hope you're having a great week! It's been gorgeous weather in Dallas. I haven't even begun to think about decorating the house yet for fall. With the weather being so warm here, it doesn't quite get me in the mood just yet.

We spent last week visiting Chris's mom in California. It was a great trip and we were able to take a drive down the coast to Monterey and Big Sur. We've been dying to see that part of California and this time, we made it happen.

Simple words to explain the vista..Heaven on Earth. Seriously..when I picture Heaven and what I'll see, this is it.









Such beauty and it's in the state of California. You always think you have to travel far to see something like this, but not the case at all. Chris and I concluded that California is where we belong. There is something to be said about living in a place that is beautiful. I know it's super important to make the best out of life no matter where you live. I just love the idea of being connected to mountains and the ocean. You get the best of both worlds!



McWay Waterfall Trail, Big Sur
{Emulsion Trail, Big Sur}






We stayed at a super quaint little place called Deetjen's in Big Sur. It was built in the late 30's off Highway 1. I absolutely loved every nook and cranny of this place. It was full of character and super unique. Not like any place I've ever been to. When we checked in we were told that they don't provide you with room keys. Seriously..crazy, but true. They've never had a problem in all the years they've been open. Everyone is so chill and laid back.

The rooms contained years and years of guests journal entries. People not only expressing how great they thought the place was, but more in depth personal entries. I loved reading these. People being so open and real.

The grounds were beautiful. We took a walk up the private drive and the view was unbelievable. To the left, we saw 15 foot waves with daring surfers, and a whale in the distance right off the coast. Such peacefulness and serenity on the mountain top. A memory made.


{Vista from the hilltop}
{My favorite picture from the trip we took..I love the movement of the waves behind us}

{View from hilltop, Heaven on Earth}




{Our Chalet}
{Our quaint room in the trees}



{Pretty flowers}

{So pretty}


{Thought this was cute}

{Amazing food, Eggs Benedict is a must}
We enjoyed the perfect weather and had dinner at Nepenthe right up the road from Deetjen's. Amazing views all around.





{The succulents grow like wildflowers out there}

{Loved this visual display }





The next morning we went for a hike along the ocean side at Andrew Molera State Park. I loved being able to hike along the ocean. Again, was picturesque and a perfect day for a walk.









{Sea Kelp..pretty stinky}





Arrived to Monterey Bay..Gas prices a little higher than what we're use to in Dallas. His mom set up a nice kayak excursion around the bay. We saw tons of sea lions barking up a storm and cute little sea otters. It was magical to be so close and see these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat. Although, the whiff of those sea lions I think was the most foul thing I've ever smelled in my life. 


{View of the Monterey Bay..the sun peakin through}


{Chris and his mama}
{Luckily, no kayaks capsized this time.. Thank the Lord}

{Little sea otter chillin}


{Beautiful}



{Barb and Chris enjoying life}

I've got these two great videos I want to share, but still need to figure out how to get them off my camera. New camera..got to love it. One video is of the surfers and the other is of several dolphins playing around in Monterey Bay. Will figure that out hopefully today at some point!

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear about your travels to  Big Sur. I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back!

Have a great day!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...