newest nav

  • Home

Monday, February 11, 2013

Closet Reinvention: Tackling our Master Bedroom Closets Part 1

Happy Monday friends! Last week I decided to figure out some kind of a solution to fix our issue with our bedroom closets without spending $1,200.00. Yes, that's right, California Closets wanted $1,200.00 to just do one closet! It's not even a walk in! Thanks, but no thanks.

Finally put my mind to it, and figured out a pretty simple solution for a MUCH cheaper cost. Chris and I have separate closets. Both are limited in space, and we really needed to maximize the space we had. There was a lot of wasted space at the top, and the boards were warped making it hard to hang clothes onto the rack without hitting the top shelf.


 Here are some before pictures.

{Bottom of Closet}


{Top Right Corner of Closet}

{Left Wall of Closet}

{Top Left Corner of Closet}


{Front of Closet}


What do you think? Looks pretty darn bad. No sense of organization. Piles and piles of t-shirts and clothes piled up with no sense of place or purpose. I felt pretty bad for Chris, and I know it was starting to drive him nuts.


FIRST STEP: CLEAR OUT THE CLOSET










STEP TWO: PAINT CLOSET

I went back and forth on whether or not to paint the closets, but since I had everything pulled out, why not. It was a fleshy neutral color that drove me nuts anyway, so I decided to paint it the same color as our bathroom, Restoration Hardware Stone. And lucky for me, I had an extra unopened gallon in the garage.







STEP THREE: BUILDING ADDITIONAL SHELVES AND SUPPORT BEAMS


This part I definitely needed my dad to lend a hand. He has some great tools and saws that we used to cut down the MDF boards to the sizing we needed. Home Depot has these MDF white boards that are perfect for building shelves. They are already primed and come in various sizes. You can also have them cut there at Home Depot if need be. 

{We added a support beam to put under the main shelf which was key. Didn't have one previously.}

{We also added a shelf above the main shelf, which before was just wasted space.}

{The nail gun was also a must have. A little scary at first but made it super easy.}

{We also used wood glue to put on the back of the support beams and then sealed the edges with a painter's acrylic.}





{We were going to hang crate shelves, but didn't after all. Now that's a bit!}


STEP FOUR: ORGANIZE AND COLOR COORDINATE SHIRTS



{Of course I had to color coordinate his shirts}


{Left Side of Closet}

{Right Side of Closet.}


LIFE SAVER: ELFA STORAGE UNIT FROM CONTAINER STORE


If there is one thing that is totally worth the money, it's an Elfa Storage Unit from Container Store. Let's just say I've had the same one that my parents bought me in High School and has been with me ever since. It's such a versatile unit and has worked in every dorm/apartment I've lived in. You can customize what height you need and width of baskets.


{ELFA RACK AND BASKETS}


I feel it's a great improvement from what he had and I know he is enjoying it more. He can now actually see what he has. Now with his done, there was no way I could leave mine a mess.

Will have that one for you later this week! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...