newest nav

  • Home

Monday, June 18, 2012

Let's paint some rockers..again.

Lately,  I'm having to go back and redo projects, rather than start new ones. I'm not too thrilled about
it, but if I can save YOU time by NOT repeating my same mistakes, then it's worth it.


{Looked great for a couple months}
Last September, I did a post about repainting our rocking chairs in our backyard. I've had these chairs for well over 10 years. They've been beaten up throughout the years, and spray painted numerous times. I sprayed them a green and they looked great, but unfortunately they didn't last too long. Rather than sanding them and doing it the right way, I spray painted over the existing paint, which caused awful peeling. 

{Spray paint I used back in September, but not convinced this was for outdoor use}
{Looks great, right? Love the peeled look. Started looking like this within 3 months or so. UGGG}


In doing things the right way this time, I've sanded the chairs down, getting it down to the bare bones  as much as possible. This i figure will allow the paint to adhere to the chairs and get you a nice base to start with.

{Sanded with an electric sander}


My next step was priming the chairs with an exterior paint I picked up at Lowe's. This was a step I hadn't done in the past, and feel will make all the difference in the world. This is the trick, I hope,that will help keep the paint from chipping and peeling. Will let you know in 6 months or so if this works out, but likely at that point, will pitch the darn things if not. 


{Primer used, gray tint I hear makes the color used more vibrant}

So this is where I'm at. I've been super busy and I haven't had a chance to paint them yet. I'm still not sure what color I want to do. Chris thinks black might be too stark, and I agree. Maybe something softer. 

{Primed}

I've got this great bistro set I also want to paint, but haven't decided what color yet. I'm thinking I need to go pillow shopping, so I can work off something. Will likely look like this for another week until I have some time to paint them. I'm going to use my new paint sprayer, so that should be interesting.


{Needs some color}


Will keep you posted how they turn out! Hope all is going well in your creative world. Hopefully better than my luck lately, but oh well. It keeps me busy, when I'm not busy:) Can't wait to finish it up, so they can be enjoyed.  

Have a great week!!
















1 comment:

  1. HA! Im about to go back and repaint my rockers as well! Stupid rain/weather ruined my first paint job (even though I primed!) Via my BBF at Home Depot, he recommended a spray paint polyurethane which would help prevent rain damage. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...